Monday, August 29, 2005

I'm Back!

Yes, I know it's been over a week since my last blog entry, but life, as usual, has been going strong. To start off with: I had a wonderful time at Otakon. I spent tons of money, and took home a huge bunch of anime swag, from manga (Japanese comics) to actual anime (animated movies). Best of all, I scored a whole lot of stuff it's simply impossible to get in this country.

Like what, you ask? Stickers, cellphone straps, pencil boards and action figures that are made in Japan. Now, not everything I found is actually impossible to get here, but at best, you'd have to go on E-bay and spend tons of money (if you can even find what I got) to get the same things I found. And you'd probably pay a huge premium on top of it.

Best of all, I got to spend time with people who like the same stuff I do. People who go out of their way to make costumes of their favorite anime characters and dress up like them. I hope to have the pictures I took at Otakon developed soon, and I was extremely impressed by the costumes this year. How often do you see people dressed like the entire cast of Hellsing, for example, or the entire cast of Saiyuki?

Costumes and Animes I saw a lot of this year: Naruto (another big year for Ninja), One Piece (Luffy and his crew), Dragonball Z (a continuing favorite), Fullmetal Alchemist (one of the companies represented at the con had a larger than life statue of Al, Edward Elric's brother), and, of course, Sailor Moon.

Want to find out more? Check out these links:
Fullmetal Alchemist
Hellsing
Saiyuki
Naruto
One Piece
Dragonball Z
Sailor Moon

No comments: