Friday, September 02, 2005

A New Job

Coming next month, I will be running something new at the library where I work. I am going to start a manga reading group for the teens. This is part of our library's goal to attract more patrons of all types, from children to adults.

We will be switching off each month, from reading shonen manga (boys) to Shoujo (girls). I am going to be starting with Fruits Basket, which is a Shoujo manga.

What I was somewhat surprised about was that the library won't let me use manga with what they term "inappropriate" jokes in it. So, anything that shows nudity or panty jokes is not allowed. Not that I am surprised about the restriction... it's pretty much par for the course. What I was surprised by is how *many* manga for boys have these sorts of jokes in them... even if it's a one or two-panel joke.

Shoujo manga don't have these sort of jokes in them, so I am on the lookout for Shonen manga without panty jokes in them,

1 comment:

Ty said...

I just started a new job too! Take a look at http://mybrandnewjob.blogspot.com/ when you get a moment. Thanks.