Monday, May 04, 2009

Ever More by Alyson Noël

Ever Bloom is a beautiful girl with long blonde hair and goddess-like looks, but these days she spends her time hiding under shapeless hoodies and listening to blasting punk-rock music. She does these things to hide herself, because not that long ago, she was in a car crash, and ever since then, she hasn't been normal.

Now, Ever can see auras, and if she somehow manages to touch them, she knows all about them. And she can see ghosts. Well, at least one ghost, that of her young sister, Riley, who was killed in the crash along with their parents and their dog, Buttercup. Ever is no longer normal, and she wants desperately to be normal. But she and normal are no longer friends, they're not even acquainted, and she knows that everything was all her fault.

When her parents, sister and dog died in the car accident, she died with them, but didn't cross over to heaven with her family. Instead, she somehow survived, and ended up with her psychic gifts. But she can't control them, so she tries not to touch anyone or look at anyone. The only ones she exempts from this are her friends, Miles, a gay guy who does more than his share of theatre, and Haven, a girl neglected by her family who acts out by dressing up in unusual styles- this year, it's goth, to get attention from her family and others. But no one really seems to notice or care.

Then a boy named Damen Auguste enters school, and Ever is determined to keep well away from him. But when her fingers brush his, she is shocked to feel- absolutely nothing. No rush of thoughts and memories. When she looks at him, she can't see his aura, either. To everyone's surprise, Damen pays Ever attention, but she can't help but notice he pays attention to other women, too. Every time she sees him, he seems to be with someone else, and while she feels he might be falling in love with him, she's irritated at how he spreads his attention around so liberally. And her friend Haven's called Dibs on him, so she's not too happy that Ever can't control herself around Damen.

Haven ends up hanging with a woman she meets at a twelve step meeting (she goes to them for the loving attention she garners from the other participants), and this woman, Drina, claims to be a donor, someone who goes to parties with vampires and donates blood to them. Soon, Haven is spending more time with Drina, and turning into a clone of her as well. Ever is concerned for her friend, but when a mutual friend of theirs turns up dead, Haven appears to recover after a bout of bad stomach flu.

But while Ever had sneaked into Damen's apartment, thinking that he was some kind of vampire, now she can't remember ever going there. Damen seems to be more interested in Drina than in her, and Ever slips into a haze of alcohol when she realizes that it blocks her psychic abilities. Messed up as she is, will Ever be able to fight back against an enemy who wants to wipe her completely off the earth? And has her penchant for Alcoholic stupor ruined the gifts that might be able to save her life? But when she realizes the true reason her life was so messed up, can she fight back and save herself from eternal dissolution?

I found this book interesting at first, but the heroine, Ever, is someone who is extremely passive for 90% of the book, and I found that incredibly boring to read. She doesn't act, she only reacts, and that was a major yawn for me. Admittedly. she's still hurting from what happened to her family, and blaming herself for their deaths, but her passiveness and reactions to the people around her just made me annoyed.

I also disliked the resolution of Amber's blaming herself for her parents death. Basically the villain appears and says, "Oh, it was all me. I caused the crash- you didn't have anything to do with it." Which I felt was an easy out for that particular story thread. It would have been nice to make Ever actually deal with the feelings and not just obliterate them wholesale- it would have made her a more believable character.

The hero, Damen, is so good a character that it's like he poops gold and diamonds and farts expensive french perfume. Even Ever seems to realize this, as she begs him to tell her something he's bad at so that she doesn't feel like a horrible, talentless schlub compared to him. I also wasn't so sanguine about how she was the reincarnation of a woman he'd been in love with many times before, but also lost many times before. Is that an implication he likes her for her, or is he trying to replace the original her he fell in love with? I wasn't sure, but the thought made me uneasy.

This whole book left me with a vaguely unsatisfied feeling, but I can't point to one big flaw that killed my enjoyment, since it was more like a host of little ones. This book is just... lacking, and I'm afraid I can't articulate it any better than that. Not recommended at all.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

what are you talking about???????????????????????????? i read like there's no tomorrow and evermore is like the best book i've "ever" read. you can't judge it like that until u finish the second one. After the second one i fell in love with the series.

LadyRhian said...

I'm glad that you liked it, but books have to be able to stand on their own. I certainly *can* judge it on the basis of that book by itself- that's what most readers do. Not everyone will enjoy the books you enjoy and not everyone will hate the books you hate. These are my opinions alone. I don't claim to speak for everyone. Just myself.

daa-phh-nee said...

I agree. I like the book. It's really interesting. You should read all of it. I mean who could blame her for being like that? At least Damen is by her side/

Anonymous said...

I think this is a great book and now im reading blue moon I can't believe what happens in the end! It's so off from the rest but it completes it. :P
Can't wait to see what happens next in blue moon.

Anonymous said...

What the hell areyou talking about this is the best book ever! I can't believe you said that thats really offensive to the people that do like it.
Holy crap!!!

LadyRhian said...

Anonymous- not everyone likes the same things, nor feels the same way about things. How does my not enjoying the book blunt your enjoyment of the story? I posted my reasons for my ultimate finding of the story having troubling aspects- an easy out for the character's feelings of guilt over the death of her family, the character being too passive, and an almost Twilight-like disparity between the perceived "awesomeness" of Damen, and how over the top it was compared to Ever's depiction and how she felt about herself. Heroes without flaw are unrealistic, and the disparities between the characters left me feeling uneasy about why Damen wants her. As I said in my review, does he want her for her, or because she is a replacement for the woman he lost so many times?

You may feel that the story is perfect. I didn't. No insult there. And if someone disliking something is an "insult" to the people who liked something, doesn't it also work the other way around? Aren't the people who express enjoyment of something that someone disliked being equally insulting towards the person who disliked it?

Anonymous said...

EVERMORE WAS AWSOME I LIKED THE BOOKS. THEY HAVE TWILIGHT SIMILARITIES, BUT HEY ITS GOT NOTHING TO DO WITH VAMPS, OR WEARWULFS. ALYSON NOEL DID AND IS DOING AN AMAZING JOB AT CREATING THIS STORY. SO GIVE THIS NEW SERIES A CHANCE.

LadyRhian said...

Already did, as you can see from this review.

Anonymous said...

I can understand why you felt Ever was passive most of the book. I can see how you wouldn't like it. But, I found it to be a great book. I would highly recommend it. It had a great plot (but followed a bit on the lines of Twilight, as if it were copying it). Anyone reading this, I would give the book a chance, especially if you liked Twilight. If that was an enjoyable book for you, you will love Evermore. Again, I can understand Ladyrhian's point but it is a fantastic read.

LadyRhian said...

See, now this is a comment I can agree with. Not everyone will enjoy the same things. And while I didn't particularly enjoy the book, YMMV.

Michaela said...

I thought the books were great, And i love Alyson Noel as a writer, Damen is supposed to look good so the reader would fall in love with him, I understand that everyone has an opinion, I just dont get why the 'Million Anonymous' People dont get that everyone has their own. My opinion is that its a good book and yes the series does get better as you go on but also Alyson tend to whats the word, Babble? A lot. When she should end something she just keeps going with it. If your like me, I would suggest reading some Elizabeth Chandler, Or Cate Tiernan. They both write very well. But if i was going by well-written i would say to check out 'The Eternal Ones' By Kirsten Miller. She ties in a lot of real information into her novel and does not need need cuss words as a crutch to get by.

Lots of Love,
Michaela Beaulieu