Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Cute Kitten.... Aw!

Recently, a shop near my library underwent a change in ownership. Formerly a bookstore and ice cream shop, it is now a thrift store run by a cat rescue organization. As part of the thrift shop, they have all sorts of pet-related items (including a cat and dog chess set, with an elevated cat condo as the castle for the cat side, and a doghouse as a castle on the dog side.

They also sell peacock feathers (cat toyz!), catnip mice, jingle balls, catnip Mats stuffed with premium organic catnip, signs (like the one that says "Meow spoken here"), magnets, and all other things catly.

The most interesting thing of all in their shop today was a 10 week old kitten, Colby. A brown mackerel tabby shorthair that was the sweetest, most well-behaved kitten I have ever encountered. Colby was in the arms of another customer when I encountered him, and the lady soon set him down so he could roam, which he did, right into the arms of the shop owner, who put him up on the counter for both of us to ooh and ah at him.

And he had no fear at all. Seeing as how I smelled of cat (having my baby boo, Cleopatra, Queen of Denial, at home). he came over to sniff at me and lick my fingers with a little sandpapery tongue. I gently picked him up and rubbed his head with my fingers, and he proceeded to knead my nose with his little brown paws. He was a darling, a sweetheart, no doubt about it. Like the internet series of cat terms says, "Kitten
-a small homicidal muffin on legs; affects human sensibilities to the point of endowing the most wanton and ruthless acts of destruction with near-mythical overtones of cuteness. Not recommended for beginners. Get at least two." Do I want one? Hell, yeah, I do! More than one? Oh yeah. Will I become the crazy cat lady? In all probability. But my current cat, Cleopatra, would probably send me on a trip to the emergency room if I brought dear Colby home. And besides, there are two other people wanting to adopt him first. Oh well, not in the cards right now.

But he was so cuuuuuuuute!

No comments: