Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Wolverine Origins- Savior by Daniel Way and Steve Dillon

Logan, who has been manipulated into losing his temper and fighting Captain America, who held the Muramasa blade, has had the ultimate bombshell dropped on him by Emma Frost. He has a son. Now, still wounded from the slash of the Muramasa blade, he has to figure out a way to capture his son without killing him.

But the wound gives him an idea, as he remembers a time in the 50's when he was an agent for the government, and poisoned with Carbonadum, which prevents his healing factor from healing him quite so quickly.

And he also remembers a device he stole and gave to a teammate of his to hide, Christopher Nord, now known as Maverick. It could make Carbonadium, and now Wolverine needs it to capture his son.

But he's not the only one on the trail of the Carbonadium. Other parties, from Omega Red to S.H.I.E.L.D. all want it, and when Wolverine meets Jubilee again, after leaving her when she needed him, he'll do anything to help her now. So when she's horribly wounded during the Fight with Omega Red, he surrenders to S.H.I.E.L.D. to save her life.

But even S.H.I.E.L.D. Custody isn't safe. When Logan's son comes after him with a vengeance, Logan is held in unbreakable bonds. But when faced with a boy who has exactly the same powers as he does, can Logan survive?

After a long time of reading Steve Dillon's Art, I am really coming to the conclusion that he's not my favorite artist for Wolverine. His male characters all have the same look to them, the same square-jawed faces, and all his characters seem to be related by blood. All his black characters look alike, and so do his white characters. It's almost like he's endlessly drawing the same character over and over again.

And it's not just in this title, but in everything I see him do, and while it was okay at first, it's now gotten on my nerves more than a little, to the point where I am distracted from the story by the art, which is never a good thing, in my opinion. The book is otherwise okay, with a good story and some great twists and turns that stuck out in my mind long after I finished reading.

If you enjoy Steve Dillon's art and really like it, more power to you! You'll probably enjoy this a lot more than I did. Otherwise, not so much, maybe.

No comments: