Thursday, June 25, 2009

Face Forward by Kevyn Aucoin

Kevyn Aucoin is a famous makeup artist who has worked with many women to make them look their best. Even if you aren't a nationally recognized model or beauty queen, you, too, can learn how to use makeup to best accentuate your features and maintain either a balanced look or how to go all out and really wow people by drawing attention to your eyes or lips.

As his models, Kevyn has gathered together beautiful and powerful women to show off his techniques. And not just to do everyday makeup, but he also shows how to evoke powerful moods using techniques anyone can learn. Even the general problems of women with dark skin are addressed, allowing them to avoid greyish or chalky undertones in their makeup, which aren't flattering to them at all.

The central portion of the book is more like costume makeup, as Kevyn takes already famous woman and transforms them into famous men and women, from Cleopatra to Queen Isabella, James Dean and Clark Gable and more modern icons like Twiggy and Elizabeth Taylor. What can be done with makeup and some suggestion is downright amazing. He even turns a male model into a very respectable Linda Evangelista. Actually, you cannot even tell that this is a man playing a woman.

The book ends with a set of futuristic female face makeups that take the makeup into the 21st century and beyond. A series of stunning visions show what can be done with makeup with looks that are simply amazing.

I liked reading this book. I tend not to wear makeup much at all, and it was interesting seeing what can be done with makeup. At this point, I don't know if I would ever be comfortable wearing foundation makeup. Even with only a light coating on my face, I feel like my pores are clogging up- hot and cranky.

But the looks achievable are quite stunning, and I found myself wanting to look like this occasionally myself- women who spend more time wearing makeup than I do are obviously going to get more out of this than I will- I certainly don't make any claim to being a fashion maven- or even all that fashionable, but this book was still amazing to read.

Everyone should read this book, even if only to get an idea of what is possible with makeup and various looks. Even if you aren't into makeup, you can still enjoy this book for the many splendid pictures, and seeing what is possible. And the step by step directions allow you to try any of these looks yourself. Recommended.

No comments: