Tuesday, March 24, 2009

The Book of Useless Information by Noel Botham and the Useless Information Society

When I was young, my mom called me "a storehouse of useless information" because I'd pick up weird and interesting facts and throw them out in conversation. For instance, Lake Arrowhead in California was named for a legend of a local indian tribe that when their former home was destroyed, their god sent them to a new land by way of a flaming arrow that floated in the sky both day and night. When they reached the land around the lake, the arrowhead left the sky and burrowed into the ground, where its imprint can still be seen to this day. (Because I visited there when I went to see my cousins in California and read a book about the area.)

But that isn't the end of my nuggets of useless information. I can recite Pi to 13 digits off the top of my head. (3.14159265358). I can still recite the list of noun determiners (aka adverbs) I had to learn back in 7th grade.

But perhaps you'd like to know some useless information of your own. That's where this book comes in. Stuffed to the gills with useless information: you, too, can trot them out whereever and whenever you like to get people of the opposite sex to like and admire you, or look at you strangely and call you "That weirdo who knows all those strange things".

The information won't save your life or allow you to save the lives of others, but it may give you a chuckle or make you go "huh!". However, accuracy isn't guaranteed, as I did notice some things in the book that weren't actually true and were disproven (like the statues of generals seated on horses and the ide you could tell how he died by the number of legs the horse has in the air, or if it is rearing), as well as some of doubtful veracity that may have been included as a joke (the last line being that "Approximately 97% of all statistics are made up", so unleash these at your peril, or at least look them up first.

The facts in the book are split up into distinct chapters that cover, say, business or foods, and then with sub-headings in each chapter. One section on foods may cover sodas and drinks, and another snacks, and so on throughout the book.

And this isn't the only book of useless information. There are at least three others that were published after this: The Ultimate Book of Useless Information, the Best Book of Useless Information Ever and The Amazing Book of Useless Information.

While this book may have information that's not entirely accurate, you'll still enjoy reading the useless information. But like I said earlier, you'll want to make sure a tid-bit is accurate before passing it on, otherwise, you'll just look like a fool.

No comments: