Thursday, January 10, 2008

Spent most of today cleaning up

in between bouts of the "Big D" (Diarrhea) and popping Immodium tabs. :P Sadly, I had let my room go to crap because of a number of things, and I had a lot to do. I was still sick at 3:30 PM, so I called out of work and spent the rest of the night cooking, putting away wash and cleaning, once again in between bouts on the toilet.

I did get some reading time in and finished up "Golden Trillium" by Andre Norton and the two books in the "Grimm Sisters" trilogy, "Problem Child" and "Once Upon a Crime". The series is about two sisters who are the living descendents of Jakob Grimm, of the Grimm Brothers fame. They live in a town in upstate New York and must look after the "Everafters", who are the living embodiments of the characters Jakob and Willhelm Grimm wrote about in their fairy tales.

In a way, it's not unlike the comic book "Fables" by Bill Willingham, though told for a school-age audience instead of the adults of the comic books. And yes, I know that sounds weird, that books are written for a younger audience than the comics, but these comics are truly adult, in many ways, and the books aren't, though they draw on some of the same themes.

I have moved on to "Servant: The Awakening" by L.L. Foster, and this book reminds me of the Hunter game from White Wolf. Even the title of the book is written in the same style. I've only read a few pages, so I can't tell about the story, if it will follow the White Wolf system, but I am really betting not, as the cover design doesn't bear it out.

My computer is doing well, and even though the scroll wheel on my old mouse wasn't working, I decided it was time to get a new mouse, a Kensington Pro Mouse. It's built on the same kind of system as my old Kensington Turbo Mouse, but this one is optical (which is good because it was a bitch and a half trying to keep the old one's inside mouse wheels clean!) and comes in a neat-looking black and silver, with a metal-flake appearing gray ball.

Today wasn't without its emotional upsets, in addition to the bodily. In one of the games I run, one of my players completely ignored me, the GM, and went back to doing what I had just warned him about only a week ago. I was completely annoyed, to the point where I was talking at the screen as if he could hear me as I was writing him an in-game note! I am normally much more easy-going when it comes to my games, but to say I have been feeling "shitty" today is completely apropo! In any case, I wrote a (mildly) angry note (entitled "Do you *Listen*?!"), and fixed the post in question, I was thinking of having the player fall down on his ass and get skewered, but I am not that nasty in-game. But I have solicited other GMs for advice, as the other players are just as annoyed at him as I am, but for different things.

Well, anyway, I am hoping to find some time to work on my VHS collection, turning it in to DVDs via my computer. I have the stuff I need, now all I need to find is the time. Oh yeah, where can I purchase me some more of that?

No comments: