Saturday, June 03, 2006

RubyAnn Boxcar

Last night, the library had a visitor from out of town. Ruby Ann Boxcar, famed cookbook author from Pangburn, Arkansas, came to delight the library with her folk wisdom and surprisingly tasty cooking! Ruby Ann not only cooked for us and tickled our funny bones, she also let us in on the secret of the difference between "White Trash Cooking" and "Trailer Park Cooking".

Y'see, in "White Trash Cooking", you go out and pick up the dead stuff you find in the road, take it home, skin it and cook it. In "Trailer Park Cooking", you never skin anything. :D

In addition, after the program, she kindly signed copies of her books for the attendees, inscribing each one personally. I picked up one for my mom, and another for my friend David, in this case, her sister Donna Sue's bartending book.

Anybody who has a chance to see Ruby Ann should definitely go out and do it. She is too funny to be missed.

And here's a link to her website: Ruby Ann Boxcar

2 comments:

Bunnywith said...

I have a White Trash cookbook. It's divided into different sections with names like 'Hawg Killins', 'Eatin on the Ground', and 'Grits, Cornbread, and Everythang else'. My mother's co-workers bought it for her as a birthday present, and I've considered making some of the nightmares in this cook book as revenge.
But nothing in this book tops the stuff on Miss Ruby Ann Boxcar's website. Peanut butter fudge with Velveeta...I feel sick already!

LadyRhian said...

Actually, that was one of the recipies she made for us the night she came to the library, and it was good. You couldn't taste the cheese at all. The sweetness of the sugar and the taste of the peanut butter and chocolate drowned it out. Chocolate is a very strong flavoring. I used to work in a bakery, and whenever the guys dropped dough on the ground or had an "accident", they used chocolate flavoring to cover it up.

That's why I generally don't buy chocolate cakes made at bakeries.

Another strong flavor is mint, of course. Toothpaste would be so bad you couldn't stomach it in your mouth if the companies that made it didn't flavor it with mint. Gels seem to be better on the taste score. I've actually tried one with watermelon flavor which wasn't bad, although it felt awfully strange to have watermelon and not mint flavoring in my mouth when I was brushing my teeth.